Video cutting software for Linux

Live TV, EPG, Recordings, Pay TV CAM, Remote Access and other issues
tarmacalastair

Video cutting software for Linux

Post by tarmacalastair » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:32 pm

Can anyone recommend a video editor/cutter/trimmer that simply cuts portions of my recordings from the Vbox to remove the few seconds/minutes before a programme starts and after it finishes please? It would be even better if I could cut out the adverts in my occasional programmes where adverts appear.

My needs are:
  • Must run on Linux
  • Does NOT need to re-encode anything. I simply want to cut out portions so it should be able to process a TV programme pretty damn quickly.
  • Must support HD recordings as broadcast in UK (BBC1/2/4 HD and ITV1 HD, C4 HD, etc)
  • Must support embedded DVB subtitles. Some software seems to strip this out
  • Must have easy to use GUI interface where I can view a preview and easily mark my cut points
Am I asking too much? I just can't seem to find anything that does this! The Mythtv built in editor used to do this quite well (although it stripped out subtitles unfortunately) but it doesn't work with HD recordings.
Thanks in advance.

nepo

Re: Video cutting software for Linux

Post by nepo » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:12 am

hi
Must support embedded DVB subtitles. Some software seems to strip this out
That's the problem ! Mostly you need two programs, one to cut the video and the other one to ediit/extract the subtitles.

i use DVBcut http://dvbcut.sourceforge.net/ for mpeg2 (SD) and Avidemux http://avidemux.sourceforge.net/ for mpeg4 (HD).

bye
vbox xti 3442 (cable) version 2.58 with usb device
Raspberry/Raspbian with Kodi 17, Mobil with Android 7, Amd64 Ubuntu16.4

tarmacalastair

Re: Video cutting software for Linux

Post by tarmacalastair » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:24 pm

Thanks, but as you point out, Avidemux does not retain the subtitles so doesn't really answer my question!

Anyone else have any ideas please?