Channel Changes - UK Freeview (BBC4 HD and others)

Setup issues? Scanning issues? Network problems? Other questions? This is the place you want to be.
tarmacalastair

Re: Channel Changes - UK Freeview (BBC4 HD and others)

Post by tarmacalastair » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:06 pm

Hi,

I must apologise. It would seem that this is much less of a problem than I first thought. When these 2 channels moved I tried to simply scan just the new frequency, C56, rather than everything. As a result I got my 2 new channels (and some I didn't want) but they were displayed alongside the now redundant listings for the same channels on the old frequency (C32). As a result, I think I was getting no sound or video when I chose the redundant channel.

So, here are the answers when I reset the box and use the Quick Wizard to only scan the frequency that I am interested in, C56. (It's taken a while because I have to wait for the channels to swap at 1900 each day):

Doing a daytime Channel Scan, the Manage Channels pages looks like this: Can't get attachments to appear in the right place - see next post

Using Kodi or VLC during day:
BBC4 HD - no sound or video because channel not broadcasting (VLC says unable to open the MRL)
CBeebies - Sound and video both work as expected

Using Kodi or VLC during evening:
BBC4 HD - Sound and video both work as expected, despite the Manage Channels page saying No Audio for this channel
CBeebies - no sound or video because channel not broadcasting (same VLC error)

Doing a night-time Channel Scan, the Manage Channels pages looks like this: see next post

Using Kodi or VLC during day:
BBC4 HD - no sound or video because channel not broadcasting (same VLC error)
CBeebies - Sound and video both work as expected, despite the Manage Channels page saying No Audio for this channel

Using Kodi or VLC during evening:
BBC4 HD - Sound and video both work as expected
CBeebies - No sound or video because channel not broadcasting (same VLC error)

In all cases above DVB subtitles are also working when the channel is on-air.

So, as you see it's not quite such a problem, just a little confusing that the channels sometimes display No Audio and the Subtitle section is completely missing, when the channel is both on-air or off-air. The display only seems to relate to when the channels scan was done.

For the purposes of the Manage Channels page, I tried to work around the display issue by exporting the file ChannelList.xml.db using the file browser, and opening it up in DB Browser for SQLite (http://sqlitebrowser.org). Using this tool I modified the fields for Audio and Subtitle and then imported the file back into the Vbox. This didn't work without also overwriting the data in the DetectedInfoBuffer field (360 ish character when off-air, over 600 character when on-air). So I used the same tool to merge the entire working line from a daytime scan and a night-time scan and put them into the same file. Importing that into the Vbox and restarting the Streamer service then fixed the display issue.

tarmacalastair

Post by tarmacalastair » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:07 pm

Attachments:
Attachments
DaytimeVbox.jpg
DaytimeVbox.jpg (35.99 KiB) Viewed 447 times

tarmacalastair

Post by tarmacalastair » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:08 pm

NighttimeVbox.jpg
NighttimeVbox.jpg (36.34 KiB) Viewed 447 times

admin@vbox
Site Admin

Post by admin@vbox » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:06 pm

Hi @tarmacalastair
Thank you for the detailed explanation and all the testing
I am happy to hear that you've managed to resolved the issue
Your findings match with our QA conclusion after testing your streams - there is a visual error on the opposite channel
thank you for bringing this issue to our attention we will address this in a future software update.