Better Over the air EPG support

What do you want to see come next?
tarmacalastair

Better Over the air EPG support

Post by tarmacalastair » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:23 am

Please please can we have better support for over the air EPG? It would go a long way to transforming the VBox from a Geeky, difficult to set up and use box to a proper consumer device that just works when you power it on and run through the quick setup.

For me in particular it affects the UK Freeview guide for HD channels and also for some SD channels that are on the same mux as the HD channels. See viewtopic.php?f=10&t=66. However, I'm sure this must affect other people too.

The XMLTV approach is just so awkward to set up and the channel matching is hit and miss and a lot of work. I'm a self-confessed geek so heaven knows how a normal non-technical user would even know how to start!

Thanks.

admin@vbox
Site Admin

Re: Better Over the air EPG support

Post by admin@vbox » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:33 am

Hi @tarmacalastair

We have many novice UK users, all you need to do is to select the channel pairing option
I do understand that does not cover 100% of the channels but as I said it covers the majority of the HD and SD channels. (I think that we are unable to show the guide for less than a hand full of channels)

As to getting the guide for all channels - we can show all the guide that is provided freely in a standard way, unfortunately the UK broadcaster have chosen not to allow guide for certain channels to be provided in a free way, this is something that you will have to take with your legislator

We have provided many alternatives and users who wish to get full guide for all channels can use the XMLTV which is a bit more complex

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:01 pm

I note that EPG Collector (version 4.3 Fixpack 8) http://sourceforge.net/projects/epgcollector/ now supports creation of xmltv data directly from VBoxes.

I presume this has been done to partially overcome the problem of EIT (OTA) data in certain countries using Huffman compression e.g. UK Freeview and Freesat.

What VBox software version is required for this ?

Mike

admin@vbox
Site Admin

Post by admin@vbox » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:49 pm

EPG Collector requires version 2.57 and above
If you do not have it please contact our support to receive it

beeka

Post by beeka » Sat May 13, 2017 11:02 pm

admin@vbox wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:33 am
We have many novice UK users, all you need to do is to select the channel pairing option
In theory the pairing should be fine but is not working out in practice. I must have done something right as the BBC one hd is mapped to the non-hd channel in the guide but none of the others are. I mapped the other channels and clicked on sync but no luck. Then triggered a rescan of the EPG but still no luck. This is from both the web live TV and the android app. How do I get the guide to update?

It is this sort of thing that lets down a decent idea. It obviously can work, just not reliably. That, along with small things like the channel matching not both very smart, make moving away from sky TV a difficult sell to the other (less technical) half.

Steve

admin@vbox
Site Admin

Post by admin@vbox » Sun May 14, 2017 6:08 am

Hi
I suggest to try and reset the VBox to factory default - from the back and restore menu press the Rest button
Then run quick setup. when your VBox is setup again
Go to Program guide, select channel pairing - press the auto match button and if there are channels that have not been paired add them manually
When you're done, press the save button and go to the program guide page, wait for the guide to collect, if you have any errors let me know what they are, if you do not have any errors open any VBox live TV app and see if the guide is full

beeka

Post by beeka » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:41 pm

I was not keen on resetting the box so had another go at pairing. Perhaps I wasn't paying attention before but a lot of the HD channels had been paired with themselves. I think the reason for this was that in some cases I couldn't find the SD version of the channel, which turned out to be because I had hidden some SD channels using the "manage channels" settings (the theory being that I would not want to see them and so reduce the number of channels being managed by the applications). Hiding channels like this means they can't be paired... adding them back allows them to be paired.

Steve.

craig.silva

Post by craig.silva » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:29 am

Does channel apiring work in Oz?

admin@vbox
Site Admin

Post by admin@vbox » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:46 pm

Hello @craig.silva channel pairing is not region specific and can be setup up whenever multiple channels share the same program schedule however not all the channels have program guide. in such a case you can copy (Pair) the guide from 1 channel on to another channel

The VBox also supports external guide sources - and in Australia you can use freeepg.tv which provides the best solution for Australian regions.

http://freepg.tv/Register.aspx