Improve the Recordings options

What do you want to see come next?
tarmacalastair

Improve the Recordings options

Post by tarmacalastair » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:13 pm

At the moment:
  • It is hard to find a programme that you want to record. You have to scroll through the guide and try to spot things to record. Please can we have a search facility?
  • Series recordings: I set up a couple of these recently. The series have now finished but the Vbox continues to record the same time slot even 2 weeks after the end of the series. Again, can we have some more intelligence here please?
Thanks.

admin@vbox
Site Admin

Re: Improve the Recordings options

Post by admin@vbox » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:50 am

Hi @tarmacalastair

Search was suggested by other users, it's a great idea. The more times an item is mentioned by our users the higher we prioritize it and the faster we will get it done - so this just got upvoted

Series recording - the VBox supports 3 series recording options
When you click on the record series button the VBox will first look if there is a series ID tag in the program guide, this is a tag that some broadcasters are using to identify series, however it is not used all the time.
If a program have a series ID tag the VBox will record the program whenever it will see that series ID - this means that once the series is over the VBox will no longer record.
If the program does not have a series ID tag, the VBox will record based on the start / end time and day that is chosen
The 3rd option is to set the series recording manual - this option will allow you to choose the recording name, days and start / end time

So based on your description, I believe that the program you have recorded didn't have series ID tag

tarmacalastair

Post by tarmacalastair » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:12 am

Thanks.
Yes, sounds like you must be right about the tag.

When you say a tag that broadcasters use, do you mean in the broadcasters' over the air (OTA) EPG or does this information get through to the XMLTV guides too?

I have always used OTA EPG in the past (with MythTV) and not encountered this issue. Sadly though the VBox does not seem to support OTA EPG for UK HD channels (see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=66).

admin@vbox
Site Admin

Post by admin@vbox » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:16 am

Both over the air and XMLTV are supported

The VBox supports OTA EPG that is transmitted in a standard way, in the UK most of the channels are supported however the guide for some of the channels is transmitted in a non standard way, most of our users have found that using the channel pairing option helps for the majority of the channels

damsons

Post by damsons » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:09 am

FWIW, I'm using (I think) a similar setup to tarmacalastair, including OTA EPG and have no problems with BBC 1/2, ITV, Channel 4/5, all HD (Can't get BBC 4 HD OTA where I am).

admin@vbox
Site Admin

Post by admin@vbox » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:19 am

@damsons thank you for sharing this information
Can you get BBC 4 SD in your area? you may need to manually pair it
Simply go to Streaming - Program Guide - Matching and match between the channels

tarmacalastair

Post by tarmacalastair » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:58 am

Yeah, I'm using the pairing option as OTA doesn't work for me for Freeview.

@damsons, are you saying that you can get the EPG over the air for the HD channels over Freeview (terrestrial)? Or are you using satellite?
Thanks..

damsons

Post by damsons » Tue May 09, 2017 8:15 am

Sorry for the very slow reply - been away!

Yes, I am getting EPG over air, terrestrial, Freeview - Stockland transmitter, in case that makes any difference. Not using any xml guide at all.

I get BBC 4 SD, no problems there - Stockland doesn't tranmit BBC 4 HD

Though I'm not sure how I got it that way, channels are showing up as paired - I'm not sure exactly what that means, but I can get both BBC 1 SD SouthWest and BBC 1 HD, for example.

tarmacalastair

Post by tarmacalastair » Thu May 11, 2017 6:50 pm

Thanks @damson. It sounds like you're doing the same as me - pairing is when you tell the Vbox to clone guide data from the SD channel and use it to populate the guide for the equivalent HD channel. This works to an extent but:
  • It relies on the 2 channels showing exactly the same programmes at the same time
  • It's fiddly to set up. I know my wife would have just sent the box back if I hadn't been able to work out what to do.
  • For me at least there is still no guide data for some SD channels, like Film4+1. This channel is SD but is broadcast on the same multiplex as a lot of the HD channels and thus (for some technical reason) the guide data is encrypted. For this channel, for me, there is no equivalent channel that I can use to map to/from.
  • If you use channel mapping then you don't seem to be able to hide the SD channels from the listings. For me, this was the very reason that I bought the Vbox - so I could only browse the EPG, watch and record HD channels.
This what it sounds like you have. To clarify, can you see programme guide data for any HD channels where the channel is not paired to its equivalent SD channel.

damsons

Post by damsons » Sat May 13, 2017 4:07 pm

It sounds to me as if _at least_ one of us is not understanding the way things work. ;-)

ALL my HD channels are paired with the corresponding SD channel and both show up in the guide - where I've set them up that way. So BBC 1 HD and BBC SW are both there and both show the BBC SW programme, for example Spotlight at 18.15 tonight (Saturday) - obviously the pairing shows the same guide for both. I assume ITV HD does the same with the regional programmes, though I have never bothered to check as I never watch ITV SD.

Since I'm _only_ using OTA/Freeview for my guide, I'm not getting those HD channels that aren't broadcast from my transmitter. So Film 4 HD simply isn't there, only Film 4 SD. Neither is any other HD channel that I don't receive.

I must admit that only in the course of writing this have I spotted that Film 4 + 1 is not in the guide, though a number of other '+ 1's are. Must check if that's available on my telly. Rarely watch that live anyway, just record stuff so I can skip the ads.