The next vbox

What do you want to see come next?
pastimer

The next vbox

Post by pastimer » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:29 am

The next vbox would have:

- Gb lan
- 4 tuners (either 3 dvb-s or dvb-c and one dvb-t)
- have support for DAB+ in the dvb-t tuner
- have more memory
- have a better processor
- have better software for managing channels (like ability to not register encrypted channels at all)
C'mon vbox. This is a good product. But it's outdated now. Time for something better and with beter specs!

Tags:

admin@vbox
Site Admin

Re: The next vbox

Post by admin@vbox » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:37 am

Hi
you can expect more surprises on our pipeline for our new 4th Gen to come

Ant

Post by Ant » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:32 pm

admin@vbox wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:37 am
Hi
you can expect more surprises on our pipeline for our new 4th Gen to come
This year?
Maybe at black friday?

beeka

Post by beeka » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:07 pm

The next box needs improved software. The hardware is not the 'added value' when a Raspberry pi with a single tuner costs £30 (see the TV HAT https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-tv-hat).

The current software is reasonable, for a techie, but has some rough edges and development is very slow: I was hoping for some of the suggestions to be implemented. Ideally my wife would like an interface as simple to use as the Sky TV app: it isn't used for watching a program but can browse tv listings, set + manage recordings, series link "just works". The playback experience needs to be good as well (she likes the picture preview when fast-forwarding, e.g. through adverts). It should be possible to have a pretty interface to manage the recordings and control playback to something like chromecast, which is being built into all kinds of devices now.

I bought a Vbox in the hope that it could replace Sky+, but it isn't quite there yet. Fingers crossed the next one comes with software that also improves the current ones.

Kind regards,

Steve.

Branksome27

Post by Branksome27 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:14 pm

What any new VBOX needs to focus on is, in my opinion, reliability. I don't have confidence that every programme I want to record will be recorded because not every programme scheduled is recorded.. True to say that most programmes will be recorded, but in every week there will be at least one that fails. I then reboot VBOX but when I reboot, it fails to reconnect to my Synology NAS drive because it appears to have not kept the password. I then have to manually renter the password only to find that is has lost all recording schedules

Testing has shown it has no problem recording 4 programmes simultaneously including HD programmes onto my NAS drive,. It addition I can be playing back directly from the NAS drive another HD programme. And yet, when all is quiet and all it has to do is record one programme, it can fail to do so. Sometimes it will just record the first few seconds and then stop

This is probably connected with another problem where it can fail to stream a particular channel. VBOX has to be rebooted to resume all services.

For UK users, getting an epg can be a problem. I have a PC program that produces daily an XML file from terrestrial TV. Whilst my VBOX is satellite based, most of the channels are the same. But I cannot load the XML file into VBOX. It fails every time with some error. But I can load it into Kodi running on a Raspberry Pi 3. So this is another VBOX problem.

However, not having the epg on VBOX means that recorded programmes don't have any of the text data from the epg.

To fill in the gaps, I have tried setting VBOX to at least pick up Now and Next. But the box is plainly stressed in this mode and within 24 hours things will start to fail so it has to be rebooted daily which is not acceptable

I have a 4 tuner satellite VBOX (single unicable) with up-to-date software

norm15

Post by norm15 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:37 pm

I agree with the last 2 posts. Better reliability is needed. I also have an issue with my VBox losing my NAS username and password. Weirdly this happens for me when I reboot my router.

But what really lets it down is the client software. I have sympathy, as I know supporting so many Android devices is a nightmare. However, I specifically bought an Amazon Fire TV as it is explicitly listed on the VBox web site.

For me the basic requirements of the client software are as follows:

1) Display the programme on the screen
2) Have an EPG that is user friendly to navigate
3) Be able to fast forward / rewind / pause
4) Have user friendly navigation of recordings
5) Resume playback at previous point

On my Fire TV and Sony TV I find if I go into the EPG after opening it has no data. If I wait for a while and go back, it usually has data. Therefore my guess is that the data is being downloaded from the VBox and takes a while to cache. It would be much better if the client could at least display the fact it is downloading data. Better still it would be better if it could just download the current screen first, so it could display nice and quick.

On my Fire TV and Sony TV I have given up fast forwarding, which is a real issue for me, as I like to record everything and then skip adverts. This is because every time I try to fast forward the programme goes back to the start and forwards from there. I could probably live with this if I could skip minutes at a time, but currently it takes forever as it is only skipping 16 seconds at once. Then to compound things when you finally click play it never plays from where it gets to.

The recordings screen looks very basic at the moment. I don't actually mind this too much, although if it was improved visually that would be good. But what I dislike is the fact there seems to be a major issue in the series screen. I find 1 programme ends up with multiple entries in the series page, as if they are separate programmes. Going into each one will have different episodes. e.g. Episode 1 & 2 maybe in one group, 3 in another 4 & 5 in another etc. This make navigation difficult as there are so many entries and you can't easily see which episode is the oldest.

On my Fire TV and Sony TV resume playback rarely works. I have seen it work, but usually the programme starts from the beginning.

Its very frustrating as this doesn't feel like it should be so difficult and things are nearly there.

I see Amazon are releasing a TV box in the USA, so hopefully this will push the sector into improving.

admin@vbox
Site Admin

Post by admin@vbox » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:55 pm

Hi,
The new VBox will be available to the retail market during 2019, a brand new Android TV Gateway with 4 tuners 4K ready with PVR, supporting DVB T2/DVB C/DVB S2/ISDB T/ATSC and has the ability to transcode content for an even better mobile viewing experience.
Best,
VBox support team

Ant

Post by Ant » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:17 pm

admin@vbox wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:55 pm
Hi,
The new VBox will be available to the retail market during 2019, a brand new Android TV Gateway with 4 tuners 4K ready with PVR, supporting DVB T2/DVB C/DVB S2/ISDB T/ATSC and has the ability to transcode content for an even better mobile viewing experience.
Best,
VBox support team
Can we hope that new model will have all benefits likr old one?
Recording, stream multiply users, dlna?