RPi LibreELEC doesn't display HD channels

General discussion and questions about VBox and VBox products
simpz

RPi LibreELEC doesn't display HD channels

Post by simpz » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:31 pm

Hi

I use as my display device a Raspberry Pi 2 running LibreELEC with the VBox plugin, I also have the HW codecs installed.

I have a strange problem that only seemed to appear with the bump to KODI 17, where when I switch Live TV HD channels they don't come up, I just get a black screen. If I go and into settings whilst the screen is blank and change the Deinterlace to Auto or Off (I can even change it back to what it started as). This tweak seems to poke the channel into life and it then gets displayed. Maybe other video setting might also work, it just seems to prod the box to relook at the stream or something.

SD (mpeg2) channels come up fine with no tweaking.

The HD channels I'm talking about are all h264 and the main UK channels BBC1,2 HD, ITV HD and Channel 4 and five HD.

Oh and if I play the recording files (from a NFS mount to my file server), they seem to work without trouble.

Anyone else seen this? Or maybe has a workaround?

dys152

Re: RPi LibreELEC doesn't display HD channels

Post by dys152 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:48 pm

Hi there,

I am also on the UK and had some problems with HD channels following the upgrade. However mine was around stuttering as though it was a CPU issue. It was fine one v16 (I don't have the hardware licenses installed). In the end i reimaged the Pi with the new install image and it has been fine ever since!

Cheers

Jon

simpz

Post by simpz » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:17 am

Sadly it was a fresh install of LibreElec that this was noticed from.
It's very annoying....

simpz

Post by simpz » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:08 pm

Replying to my own post, in case anyone else sees this.

I have worked around this just now by un-setting "Allow hardware acceleration - OMXPlayer" in the Player settings -> Video (maybe export mode). This seems to force TV playback to use MMAL (maybe as it's still HW accelerated). MMAL seems to not have an issue with HD channels (maybe better at interpreting an H264 mid-stream)