Coaxial cable (UK)

General discussion and questions about VBox and VBox products
RobM

Coaxial cable (UK)

Post by RobM » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:23 pm

Hi,

I have a rooftop aerial with coaxial cable which isn't being used at the moment, but it picks up our UK digital Freeview channels perfectly.

Would this be suitable to plug into the VBox input, then presumably the VBox would connect to my router via ethernet cable?

Many thanks!

Tags:

admin@vbox
Site Admin

Re: Coaxial cable (UK)

Post by admin@vbox » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:25 pm

Hello @RobM
Yes that is exactly what the XTi-3442 does. you just need to make sure that the VBox will not be placed in a hot environment as it is designed to operate in average room temp

RobM

Post by RobM » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:02 pm

It never gets hot in the UK haha...

Thanks for the quick reply. I have another question, basically "will this work?"

But it's going to be easier to show you a diagram of the network (see below - click to enlarge)

So as you can see, I have two rooms. The reason for buying a VBox is to get the TV signal into the second room (our kitchen). Because the wifi from the room 1 router isn't strong in the kitchen, I've wired a long ethernet cable through and set up a second router. All working fine.

There's a TV in the kitchen, with R-Pi / Openelec, connected to the router via wifi. The connection is strong: movies and music stored on other network devices stream just fine to the R-Pi / TV.

OK so that's it. Can you see anything here that's problematic?

how to upload images to the internet

admin@vbox
Site Admin

Post by admin@vbox » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:17 pm

Hello @RobM
Basically your RPi needs to be on the same network as the VBox- so as long as the "Room 1 Router" is your only DHCP server and your second router is configured just as an access point you're all good

RobM

Post by RobM » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:21 pm

Great thanks, this is everything I needed to know.

admin@vbox
Site Admin

Post by admin@vbox » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:31 pm

Happy to help and enjoy to cool weather :-)