TV on home network.

General discussion and questions about VBox and VBox products
lordlozz

TV on home network.

Post by lordlozz » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:42 pm

Hi Guys.

I have an old terrestrial PDTVR that is knackered now and its time to for me to upgrade. The aerial is fine but the box is knackered. I have some requirements in mind for a home TV network that I would like to set-up and I would like to set it up in the easiest way possible. I have a good terrestrial aerial already but I may install a satellite.

I would like a stand a lone system that is always on / virtually always on. I would like a generic EPG for it. I would like this to be connected to my TV so that I can browse and watch Channels with a generic TV remote or iphone.

I want the system to be a PDTVR so that I can schedule recordings via the EPG with the ability to record at least 3 programmes at the same time. I would like the recordings to be easily accessed yet out-putted to a Network enabled Hard drive so that other content that I have downloaded from P2P software can be outputted here and accessed the same way.

I would then like to run a streaming service such as emby or plex over this hard drive so that I can access the recordings and p2p content on my ipad and iphone anywhere where I have a decent internet connection. Idealilly I could stream content as its being recorded giving me the abality to watch sports almost live (not sure if emby or lex can do this).

I have read that native OTA content has ridiculously large file sizes so some seamless compression may be needed.

Another dimension to this which I may or may not bother with is getting all my OTA content via a satalite on a code share giving me all the benefits of above yet with much more OTA content.

Any ideas?

The obvious and easiest upgrade options for me are either YouView or SKYQ. Both have pros and cons. YouView content is free yet you can't stream your recorded content nor can you export it to a network to keep P2P content and OTA content in the same place. SKY Q is amazing but its way too expensive and with a bit of tech savy im sure the equivalent can be achieved for around a tenth of the cost.

admin@vbox
Site Admin

Re: TV on home network.

Post by admin@vbox » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:31 pm

Hello @lordlozz
We're developing the VBox with the intention of simplifying home TV setup, the same way that Network WiFi routers simplified internet connectivity in the home.

I recommend the VBox XTi-3340, it's a quad tuner - 2x (DVB-S/S2) satellite and 2x (DVB-T2) aerial tuners, ideally used with freesat and freeview services

With 4 tuners you will be able to record 3 programs at the same time - however you will need to make sure that your network / storage device is fast enough to handle the recordings

Smart TV:
Android and Android powered smart TV can work with the VBox live TV app or Kodi
On other smart TVs your can watch live and recorded TV directly off most smart TVs using the TV's UPnP interface
Or use a companion device such as an Android box with either the VBox live TV app or Kodi

Recordings:
As recordings are stored on a shared storage, you can use 3rd party media server apps such as Plex to watch the recordings and you can also use the VBox interface

You can schedule recordings from the TV guide and we support recording of live TV, scheduled program and series TV (with Series ID or manual setup)

Watching a program while it is recorded in on our roadmap, at the moment you can watch and record at the same time (live TV) however you cannot watch the recording file

EPG:
Guide for freeview is captured over the air from the freeview transmission, while freesat is transmitting a non-standard guide and you can load the program guide externally from a XMLTV guide source

Remote access:
VBox TV Gateway streams in full broadcast quality, with today's fast internet and LTE network, we've found that most users can watch most SD channels without trancoding, additionally we allow offline watching of recorded programs, alternatively you can use a transcoding server such as serviio.org to transcode the stream

I hope that I have covered all your questions and that you will join our TV's revolution

amdr1

Post by amdr1 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:01 pm

3340 model have dvb-t2 tuner ?
Not
dvb-t?

beeka

Post by beeka » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:05 am

I had read conflicting spec sheets, and then something which explicitly said that T2 is not supported. This was one of the reasons I went with the freeview-only 3442. TBH, it might not be a major issue if you can't get freeview HD as well as freesat HD, check the channel coverage for HD channels on freeview vs freesat... I'd rather have the satellite channel support (figuring out if those channels are transmitted unencrypted is another matter).

Not sure if any of the vbox product support card sharing though.

I've found sort of get what you pay for. Sky-Q just works but is expensive, particularly when you start adding mini-q boxes to each room with a TV. I considered a Humax PVR, which will stream SD recordings around the house via DLNA but, apart from wanting to stream HD anyway, it won't down-scale recorded HD programs so you have to decide up front if you want quality or convenience at record time. The vbox lets you access the HD recordings, so opens up the chance to stream HD around the house but a side-effect of this is the lack of simple HD EPG (TL;DR licencing issues). So you can do what you want with a vbox or two with some effort and patience.

In use I have found the vbox to be excellent most of the time but has some rough edges that show this is a small company without the customer base or resources of Sky. That means that while vbox are aiming at a customer-friendly product (with multi-platform support) there are bugs in the firmware and missing features in the apps that put in the enthusiast category right now. I am hopeful it is just a matter of time though and am sticking around to see what happens.

Steve.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:11 pm

I have an XTI 3340 (label on the unit), the actual hardware is (from the status screen) shows:
Hardware Revision H0
Manufacture ID 0827
Product Number 3345
Product Name 3345-21

It has 1 x DVB-S, 1 x DVB-S/S2, 2 x DVB-T tuners. so no Freeview HD.

I believe VBOX "refreshed" the 3340 to upgrade DVB-T to DVB-T/T2, not sure if the "refresh" made both satellite tuners DVB-S/S2 capable. So which one you get could depend on where you purchase the unit.

I am sure VBOX can clarify the situation.

I also have a 3442 (2 x DVB-T/T2) which is great.

Mike

amdr1

Post by amdr1 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:16 pm

Proof from site admin or just mistake?
admin@vbox wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:31 pm
Hello @lordlozz

I recommend the VBox XTi-3340, it's a quad tuner - 2x (DVB-S/S2) satellite and 2x (DVB-T2) aerial tuners.....

admin@vbox
Site Admin

Post by admin@vbox » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:57 am

Hi
Yes we have refreshed the XTi-3340 with dual DVB-T/T2 tuners
The Satellite tuners remained 1x DVB-S2 and 1x DVB-S
You can see the product spec in this link - http://www.vboxcomm.com/product-page/terrestrial.html

amdr1

Post by amdr1 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:30 pm

3340 with CI for satellite tuners is available?

admin@vbox
Site Admin

Post by admin@vbox » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:33 pm

Hi @amdr1 unfortunately we do not have such a product.
The 3340CI is designed to support CI for DVB-Tor DVB-C
but not for Satellite

at the moment we are out of stock of satellite CI