Best device for UK HD Channels

Smart TV, Kodi boxes, PC, Mac, Smartphone, tablet and other devices
norm15

Best device for UK HD Channels

Post by norm15 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:30 am

Hi Everyone,

I'm not particularly confident anyone will be able to help me, but I'm wondering whether anyone has successfully got the VBox TV streaming HD channels to their TV in the UK?

If so, has anyone got it working with a device that supports Amazon Video, iPlayer, ITV Hub, All 4 in a user friendly way?

I currently have an Amazon Fire TV Stick, which gives me everything I want, except it can't play HD channels from the VBox TV Gateway. I moved over to HD TV about 10 years ago, so I don't like going backwards to SD, especially with 4K on the horizon.

Anyway, after doing research I think either an nVidia Shield, or Apple TV 4K, would be my best bet. But I'm nervous whether they will actually be able to play the UK HD channels, in which case I may as well stick with the Fire TV Stick!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Tags:

admin@vbox
Site Admin

Re: Best device for UK HD Channels

Post by admin@vbox » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:50 pm

Hi Norm. I'll let the UK vboxer to answer your question
But have you considered the XIOMI TV box ?

norm15

Post by norm15 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:05 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I haven't considered the Xiaomi TV box, as I've seen this on the Kodi forum:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916
Q. I need a device with proper video deinterlacing for Over the Air (OTA) TV streaming from my HD Homerun or PVR server ?
NOTE: Major Deinterlacing issues with some Krypton PVR Clients have been widely reported on ALL Android devices (click)
Ordered from best deinterlacing picture output quality to the worst. In reality the Intel, AMLogic, Apple TV 4K and RPi's will be the most reliable.
  • Intel / AMD x86-64 computers
  • Apple TV 4K using the superb Channels App or running MrMC (highly modded Kodi Jarvis) ... equal with the following...
  • All AMLogic chipset based boxes, eg the WeTek, MINIX, ODROID, Vero 4K devices plus others.
    (You have to use Android Kodi/SPMC Jarvis or LibreELEC/OSMC Kodi Jarvis/Krypton)
  • RPi's.
  • NVIDIA Shield - OTA TV users need to use the Live Channels App, or the HDHomeRun App. However this has Issues - click HERE for detailed info.
  • The previously mention Channels App (click) now has Android TV support.
  • MrMC v3.0.2 on the FireTV 1/2 - however read that linked thread very carefully for any issues.
  • Do NOT get suckered into paying for the privilege of being a Plex DVR Alpha Software tester. Bugs galore.
  • Avoid Amazon FireTV & Xiaomi Mi Box hardware for anything to do with Kodi Krypton deinterlacing.
I have been doing some reading around today and have come across something called TVHeadend. It sounds like it can act as a middle man and stream from the VBox Gateway. Do you think this could be used to convert the broadcast HD into something that the Amazon Fire TV can handle? Upside is, it would allow my Sony TV and tablet to also stream HD content. Downside is, I guess I would need an always on server powerful enough to convert.

Thanks

tarmacalastair

Post by tarmacalastair » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:52 pm

I have a Raspberry Pi 3 running OSMC (an excellent Kodi distro). This seems to work fine for watching BBC, ITV, C4 &5 HD channels live and recorded using the Vbox. You seem to have to use channel matching, which is a right pain, to get the EPG but it's better than nothing.

The Pi is plugged in to an HDMI port at the back of the TV and works great. As you can't power it off, I shut it down from the menu when not in use and use a remote controlled power socket to kill the power. Some people power theirs from a spare USB port on the TV but I like to shut mine down cleanly to avoid corruption.

There is a plugin for BBC iPlayer for Kodi and also for ITV (less reliable). Not sure about Amazon and All4 I'm afraid as I don't use those.

Hope that helps.
Alastair

norm15

Post by norm15 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:52 pm

Thanks for the reply Alastair.

It interesting that your Pi can handle HD. Comparing the specs to the Fire TV Stick, the seem pretty similar. Maybe its on the edge of working!

I find that a lot of programmes in HD play fine, but then certain programs go all blocky and crash. Credits scrolling up the screen look horrible and sport is jerky and unwatchable.

Thanks

Norm