Looking for recommendations for Android apps

VBox Live TV for iSO, Android, Windows 10, Kodi PVR add-on
Simon123

Looking for recommendations for Android apps

Post by Simon123 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:19 pm

I dont actually use my Vbox to watch Live TV, I just use it to record TV. I have been struggling with the Android Vbox apps crashing and being incredibly slow to navigate the EPG. I just want an app I can use to navigate the EPG and schedule recordings simply? I have tried apps like 'IPTV' and 'Perfect Player' which work for live TV but I cant schedule recordings. Does anyone have any tips?

I am in the UK using freeview and have a USB hard drive connected to the Vbox for recordings.

Thanks

Tags:

admin@vbox
Site Admin

Re: Looking for recommendations for Android apps

Post by admin@vbox » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:16 am

Hi Simon, please contct the support team - we need to find out why is the app crashing oftenly
support@vboxcomm.com

Simon123

Post by Simon123 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:55 pm

Thanks, I will drop them an email but expect they will offer the standard 'Do a factory reset and install this new firmware' response!

dannyscarb

Post by dannyscarb » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:11 pm

It's an extra cost but if you have something that you can use as a plex server, the new vbox integration works pretty well.

Simon123

Post by Simon123 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:22 pm

I thought the vbox would be the Plex server? Are you saying you need a separate server? I guess I would also need to pay for a Plex pass subscription to use the recording abilities? I don't know much about Plex.

dannyscarb

Post by dannyscarb » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:44 am

Simon123 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:22 pm
I thought the vbox would be the Plex server? Are you saying you need a separate server? I guess I would also need to pay for a Plex pass subscription to use the recording abilities? I don't know much about Plex.
Yes you will need a device which can run the plex server, the vbox gateway is just a IP TV tuner and is fairly low powered. And yes you will also need a plex pass to use the DVR function.

I use the plex server app on my Nvidia shield and it works well. Worth a look if you're looking at using plex.

Simon123

Post by Simon123 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:04 am

Thanks. I have a Xiaomi Mi Box but doubt that would cut it as a plex server. I will do some research.

Simon123

Post by Simon123 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:38 am

OK I have done some research and you seem to know a bit about Plex so I will ask a few questions here if you don’t mind….

Basically what I want to achieve is to use a nice to navigate EPG to setup recordings of live TV, I do not wish to record in HD, SD will be perfectly fine for me (I would like this setup of recordings to be simple for my non-techy wife). I then want to watch these recordings at a later date by streaming them on my local network to my Xiaomi Mi Box android TV box or to download the recordings to my android tablet to watch on the train. I was hoping this modest use case could be achieved using the Vbox Android apps but they seem too buggy and the EPG is very sluggish so I am considering Plex.

I have looked in my cupboard and have 2 currently unused devices available:

Raspberry pi (the original version from 2012 with a 700Mhz processor and 256MB RAM)
Lenovo Ideacentre Stick 300 (Intel Atom Z3735F 1.33Ghz, 2GB RAM, 32GB eMMC) running Windows 10

I would just use Plex as a DVR to record to a USB hard drive attached to the 'server'. I will only be recording in SD (not HD). I gather I need some grunt for transcoding so doubt either will cut it for that but the Plex website seems to suggest the Lenovo Atom processors will be OK without transcoding. Do you think my use case would require transcoding?

Thanks,
Simon

dannyscarb

Post by dannyscarb » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:50 pm

Simon123 wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:38 am
OK I have done some research and you seem to know a bit about Plex so I will ask a few questions here if you don’t mind….
I'm no expert but I can comment on my experience for sure.
Simon123 wrote:

Basically what I want to achieve is to use a nice to navigate EPG to setup recordings of live TV, I do not wish to record in HD, SD will be perfectly fine for me (I would like this setup of recordings to be simple for my non-techy wife).
The plex EPG has improved quite a lot since I've had it, it didn't even have a traditional EPG initially but it's now been added albeit a little limited. The web version and the Apple TV version both have a feature where you can quickly select each day and sort on time of day. Can't wait for that to come to both android and Android TV.

You can easily create a new series recording / one off recording via the plex client but annoyingly it does include all of your media content in the results so that part isn't great but will be fixed in a future release.
Simon123 wrote:
I then want to watch these recordings at a later date by streaming them on my local network to my Xiaomi Mi Box android TV box or to download the recordings to my android tablet to watch on the train. I was hoping this modest use case could be achieved using the Vbox Android apps but they seem too buggy and the EPG is very sluggish so I am considering Plex.
This part can definitely be done easily using the plex client. If you buy the android app (one off cost) you can sync all of your recordings to watch them offline.
Simon123 wrote:
i have looked in my cupboard and have 2 currently unused devices available:

Raspberry pi (the original version from 2012 with a 700Mhz processor and 256MB RAM)
Lenovo Ideacentre Stick 300 (Intel Atom Z3735F 1.33Ghz, 2GB RAM, 32GB eMMC) running Windows 10

I would just use Plex as a DVR to record to a USB hard drive attached to the 'server'. I will only be recording in SD (not HD). I gather I need some grunt for transcoding so doubt either will cut it for that but the Plex website seems to suggest the Lenovo Atom processors will be OK without transcoding. Do you think my use case would require transcoding?
Im not sure on this part, it's worth giving it a go with your Lenovo because viewing your content locally or offline you won't need to transcode so it should work quite well. Best of luck with your quest, hopefully Ive helped in someway.

Simon123

Post by Simon123 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:10 pm

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond, it has definitely been very helpful. It does all sound pretty hopeful for Plex, I will dust the Lenovo stick PC off and press it into use as a Plex media server when I next get the chance. Fingers crossed...
Thanks again for your reply.
Simon