Quick Guide for V@Box with Mythtv

VBox how to guides, documentations and general tips
MikeB

Post by MikeB » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:38 pm

1. Background

The orignal V@Box support provided in Mythtv version 0.28 allowed one recording per V@Box tuner.

With recents updates to Mythtv master (version 0.29pre) it is now possible to make use of Mythtv multirec feature which allows multiple channels on the same tuner, provided channels are on the same multiplex, to be recorded/watched.

Note that this configuration requires use of external xmltv program data source for each V@Box tuner type (DVB-T, DVB-T/T2, DVB-S, DVB-S/S2). The external xmltv program data is stored within Mythtv, so the V@Box external xmltv capability is not used.

2. V@Box Setup

There is not much setting up of V@Box for use with Mythtv that is different from normal V@Box setup.

a) Configure V@Box to use a fixed IP address (can be done on V@Box or via Router Reservation)
b) Make sure V@Box has minimum firmware version 2.56
c) Make sure "* Limit single channel streaming per UPnP device" is NOT selected.

3. Mythtv Setup

The Mythtv-setup process is similar to that used in current release 0.28/fixes,but with a few minor, but important, changes to account for Mythtv Max Recordings setting (multirec) see Notes below.

The following steps assume a clean install of Mythtv master (from either the appropriate PPA or built from source) and that the V@Box has been setup to a) use a fixed IP address, b) all channels have been setup.

Note Max Recordings on the Input Connections screen should not be set higher than 5, settings higher than 5 can cause V@Box overload and thus lead to lost/missed recordings.

Stop mythbackend if running
run mythtv-setup

WARNING Do NOT share Video Sources for V@Boxes with other Capture Card types.

a) Capture Card Screen
Create New Capture Card

b) Video Sources Screen
Create New Video Source

c) Input Connections
Remember to scan for channels (only needs to be done once per Video Source
on Input Connections screen set Max Recordings to 5,

4. Mythtv Tuner is Errored

If you see "errored" in the mythfrontend Tuner status screen, this is due to the V@Box not responding to a network ping within 7 seconds (default value). This can be caused by number of things:

V@Box is not running - check by going to V@Box management page in a web browser, if the V@Box main screen is displayed it means the V@Box is likely not the problem.

Other possible causes: cabling or mythbackend starting up before networking has been established.

5. Notes

5.1 What has been tested.

The multirecord using V@Box has been tested on Mythbuntu 16.04 X86-64 using
V@Box XTi 3442 Dual tuner DVB-T/T2 running firmware VJ2.56
V@Box XTi 3440 Dual tuner DVB-T, single DVB-S, single DVB-S2 running firmware VB2.56

All V@Boxes were using UK Freeview (DVB-T/T2) or UK Freesat (DVB-S/S2) as appropriate for the V@Box.

External xmltv program data from Schedules Direct was used, using tv_grab_zz_sdjson (requires xmltv version 0.5.69 or greater).

Note that multirec is very useful for UK Freeview where multiple channels are on the same multiplex, less so for UK Freesat due to allocation of channels to transponders(multiplexes).

5.2 V@Box XTi 3340

The version tested (Product Number 3345, Product Name 3345-21) has DVB-T capability on 2 tuners, DVB-S on 2 tuners and DVB-S2 on one tuner, so configuring for Mythtv was done in the following manner to minimise the single DVB-S2 tuner being used unless it is really needed for a particular channel. Firmware version VB2.56

Create Capture Card for Tuner 4 (DVB-T)
Create Video Source for DVB-T, this is used for tuners 3 and 4
Setup Input Connections for Tuner 4, setting Max Recordings to 5

Create Capture Card for Tuner 3 (DVB-T)
Setup Input Connections for Tuner 3, setting Max Recordings to 5

Create Capture Card for Tuner 2 (DVB-S)
Create Video Source for DVB-S
Setup Input Connections for Tuner 2, setting Max Recordings to 5

Create Capture Card for Tuner 1 (DVB-S/S2)
Create Video Source for DVB-S2
Setup Input Connections for Tuner 1, setting Max Recordings to 5

5.3 V@Box XTi 3442

The version tested (Product Number 3442 Poduct Name 3442-21) has DVB-T/T2 capability on both tuners. Firmware version VJ2.56

Create Capture Card for Tuner 1 (DVB-T/T2)
Create Video Source for DVB-T/T2, this is used for tuners 1 and 2
Setup Input Connections for Tuner 1, setting Max Recordings to 5

Create Capture Card for Tuner 2 (DVB-T/T2)
Setup Input Connections for Tuner 2, setting Max Recordings to 5

tarmacalastair

Re: Quick Guide for V@Box with Mythtv

Post by tarmacalastair » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:26 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the useful guide. Got it set up and was wondering why I get scheduling conflicts for my upcoming recordings. Whenever I change the Max Recordings to 5 it changes back to 1 for each tuner.

I've got a 3442 Vbox (firmware 2.57) and have been using MythTV for 10 years (but always the version from the ppa)
I was just about to log a bug and re-read your post here saying you need MythTV 0.29 and mine is from the Mythbuntu ppa:

MythTV Version : v0.28.1-21-ge26a33c (updated 19/04/17 to fix this: https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/12566)
MythTV Branch : fixes/0.28

I'm guessing that the Mike in https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1724 is you? Did you manage to get this patch working in 0.28 fixes? If not, are you aware of an easy way to use the version you recommend in Ubuntu 16.04 without breaking other stuff?

Thanks.

Alastair

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:52 pm

Alastair,

Yes, I am the same Mike.

I doubt the patches will be back ported to 0.28/fixes, as they have been incorporated into master branch (0.29pre).

If you want the multirecord capability you will need to use mythtv master. Note I have not tested using VBOX firmware version 2.57 - I do not have it, both of my VBOX's show up to date at version 2.56, so I presume 2.57 is not yet generally released.

I am not aware of anything in master (0.29) which breaks 0.28/fixes functionality and I am running mythtv master on both my production and test systems.

There is a (mythbuntu) ppa for master (0.29) which supports 16.04 (xenial) to save you building from source:
https://launchpad.net/~mythbuntu/+archive/ubuntu/0.29

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mythbuntu/0.29
sudo apt update
sudo apt dist-upgrade
Due to the way 0.29 handles multirecord settings(which is different from 0.28/fixes), I suggest you delete the VBOX capture cards and Videosource and re-add them, including a new scan for channels after updating to 0.29. This just makes sure that tuners are efficiently used (otherwise it somewhat negates the benefits of multirecord).

Edit:
Just to clarify Mythbuntu 16.04 is a cut down version of Xubuntu 16.04 (LTS) plus a few additions to make setting up mythtv slightly easier. In reality using Xubuntu 16.04 and just adding the mythtv ppa and then installing mythtv (sudo apt update, sudo apt install mythtv) will provide a full mythtv frontend/backend system.

Mike

tarmacalastair

Post by tarmacalastair » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:06 pm

Hi Mike,

Thanks for all the info. I was a little worried about using 0.29 because of the warnings on the ppa site but it doesn't sound quite so scary after your comments!
I'll try it out on a test box in the next few days before subjecting the family to it and I'll report back here.

Incidentally, I've only had my Vbox a few weeks and 2.57 is the version that arrived on it out of the box:

Code: Select all

Software Version 		XTI_VJ.2.57   (Up to date)
Linux 				3.4.100_stm24_0309.3-rc1-B2064_h205-STSDK
Kernel Image 			VJ04
Boot Loader Image 		3.1.3
Disk Image 			IVB-2.0-25 
Thanks again.