System hangs

Live TV, EPG, Recordings, Pay TV CAM, Remote Access and other issues
Ant

Re: System hangs

Post by Ant » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:17 am

admin@vbox wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:16 am
Hi tarmacalastair
Can you please send VBox email support your recordings.xml file - it is located in your recording folder
I found instruction from user that i described earlier:
Попутно выяснилось, как можно наглухо вырубить сервис STREAMER - при указании параметров записи задаём название подлинее (допустим, скопированное из программы телепередач "Волейбол. Россия - Аргентина. Мировая лига. Мужчины. Прямая трансляция из Казани") и в момент начала записи упомянутый сервис останавливается и вылечить это можно только перезагрузкой после времени окончания записи. Веб-интерфейс (за исключением секции Streaming) при этом работает. LiveTV - как в браузере, так и в android-приложении - не работает, что логично.
Mainly it's service STREAMER dies algorythm on 2.57 fw version:
When we add recording parameters. (Series recording)
Adding record program name:
"Волейбол. Россия - Аргентина. Мировая лига. Мужчины. Прямая трансляция из Казани"
At record starting time service dies.
Web interface alive exept Streaming section, livetv via web or android app also not working.

So in his case dying STREAMER service it was lenght of program that cause this.

tarmacalastair

Post by tarmacalastair » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:25 am

And loads of recordings failed again today - system completely hung. I will have a look for the xml file in a minute and send it over. However please note that all my recordings are done through MythTV, not directly from the VBox, so will this file help?

I've been using MythTV now for 11 years and bought the VBox at the beginning of 2017 (2.57 firmware) to improve recordings when my PCI tuner card started to play up and miss recordings.

V2.57 did hang on me a few times causing failed recordings but a daily reboot at 0630 seemed to prevent most failures. Now, with v2.57.17 the box rebooted at 0630 today (as planned) but was failing by about 1600 the same day.

On previous occasions a restart of the streamer service instead of a complete restart seemed to bring the VBox back to life but not this time.

Please can I have a copy of the non-beta 2.57 firmware? It wasn't great but it didn't seem to cause as many hangs as this latest beta.

Thanks.

admin@vbox
Site Admin

Post by admin@vbox » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:40 am

Hi @tarmacalastair
If you are using MythTV for recording the recordings.xml will not help,
Do you have a log on MythTV?
There are a number of reasons that may cause the Streamer service to crash
1. Inconsistent network connection - if you have network disconnection
2. Reception issues - reception quality may vary during the day, to check go to the tuner setting page and refresh the page a number of times

As for the FW please send us an email we will send it to you

admin@vbox
Site Admin

Post by admin@vbox » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:51 pm

Ant wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:17 am
admin@vbox wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:16 am
Hi tarmacalastair
Can you please send VBox email support your recordings.xml file - it is located in your recording folder
I found instruction from user that i described earlier:
Попутно выяснилось, как можно наглухо вырубить сервис STREAMER - при указании параметров записи задаём название подлинее (допустим, скопированное из программы телепередач "Волейбол. Россия - Аргентина. Мировая лига. Мужчины. Прямая трансляция из Казани") и в момент начала записи упомянутый сервис останавливается и вылечить это можно только перезагрузкой после времени окончания записи. Веб-интерфейс (за исключением секции Streaming) при этом работает. LiveTV - как в браузере, так и в android-приложении - не работает, что логично.
Mainly it's service STREAMER dies algorythm on 2.57 fw version:
When we add recording parameters. (Series recording)
Adding record program name:
"Волейбол. Россия - Аргентина. Мировая лига. Мужчины. Прямая трансляция из Казани"
At record starting time service dies.
Web interface alive exept Streaming section, livetv via web or android app also not working.

So in his case dying STREAMER service it was lenght of program that cause this.
Hi Ant,
This is a bit unclear to us, I know that you are not the OP, and I am hoping that you can still help.
- we tried to recreated the same issue - using the web interface to set series recording copying the original program name or using the Russian program name from the example, but all recordings completed

So we would like to better understand
1. Why would they retype the program name? If they set a recording from the EPG

2. What is the app that they are using set the manual recording?

3. How do they copy the program name? typing it or copying it from the EPG and pasting on the manual recording? and how?

4. What is the recording path? USB / Network?

5. Does it always happen or with specific program name / character?

Anything else that they can share

Thanks

tarmacalastair

Post by tarmacalastair » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:36 pm

Hi Support,

How about a diagnostics version of the firmware for people like myself who want a system that works and are also willing to help?

I can pretty much pinpoint the time when my system crashed last time - I had 2 recordings in action (via MythTV). Both started at 1510 GMT. One recording terminated abruptly after 1hr 25 min 50 seconds and the other after 1hr 25 min 52 seconds. With SSH access and cron access I could quickly ssh in to the VBox to look at the logs and check the service status, even if the web access is not working. I will have a look for the MythTV log and email it to Support if I can find it.

At the moment I can't pinpoint any reason why it hangs as it doesn't always seem to be when recording. It has also happened when simply viewing the web status page, watching TV in Kodi and in the VBox Android app.

Also, my tuner status page always shows both tuners as 100% locked and tuned to a channel when nothing/nobody is tuned in for watching or recording. At the moment, Tuner 2 is tuned to a channel I use very little and Tuner 1 is tuned to a channel that is not even in my channel list - is this normal?
Selection_218.jpg
Selection_218.jpg (63.11 KiB) Viewed 306 times

Suggestions for diagnostic firmware version:
  • SSH root access
  • Cron daemon
  • Service start/stop/status (via ssh)
  • A watchdog service to check suspect services like Streamer and restart them if they hang.
  • An alerting system which could email/send me a text message so I don't return to find several hours of failed recordings.
  • Any other diagnostic tools that could be useful?
(Yes, I know some of these are in the web interface but that's no good when the web service fails to load.)

Cheers,

Alastair

admin@vbox
Site Admin

Post by admin@vbox » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:26 am

Hi tarmacalastair

We really appreciate your willingness to help!
The channel listed are the frequency number and not the TV channel

I suggest in order to try to narrow down this issue - that you will try to schedule the same recording session on the VBox (not on MythTV) and use an attached USB flash drive for the recording - see if it also fails

If you are able to recreate the issue than it will help if you can send us the full logs
To do this go to the logging setting -
1. Change the number of log files to 5
2. Press the clear all logs button - to delete all data
3. Recreate the issue
4. Immediately after the recordings fail - go to logging settings
5. at the bottom of the page - press the save log file - including system configuration data
6. Send the log file to the VBox support

If you wish to monitor the log online - you can do it using https://www.wireshark.org/

nepo

Post by nepo » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:27 am

hi
@tarmacalastair
Also, my tuner status page always shows both tuners as 100% locked
Look at his thread power consumption & tuner locked
... we keep both tuners always locked to the last used frequency
This way when a client is requesting a channel, it's instantly streamed...
You can also look at 'PIDs usage', in your case '0'. The tuner(s) don't do anything.
It is another question if it is good or not ;)
How about a diagnostics version of the firmware for people like myself who want a system that works and are also willing to help?
In my opinion, that is perfectly true ! Linux is a perfect OS to diagnose problems, errors ... with diagnostic tools with help of e.g. ssh. To get 'a perfect' machine (the goal of company and users :!: ), it is recommended to enable this functions
Suggestions for diagnostic firmware version:

SSH root access
Cron daemon
Service start/stop/status (via ssh)
A watchdog service to check suspect services like Streamer and restart them if they hang.
An alerting system which could email/send me a text message so I don't return to find several hours of failed recordings.
Any other diagnostic tools that could be useful?
Bye nepo
vbox xti 3442 (cable) version 2.58 with usb device
Raspberry/Raspbian with Kodi 17, Mobil with Android 7, Amd64 Ubuntu16.4

tarmacalastair

Post by tarmacalastair » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:33 pm

admin@vbox wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:26 am
We really appreciate your willingness to help!
So, how about the diagnostics firmware suggestion then?? It's not easy to help very much without something like this. I am not at home or keeping an eye on my system all the time.
admin@vbox wrote:
The channel listed are the frequency number and not the TV channel
OK thanks,
admin@vbox wrote:
I suggest in order to try to narrow down this issue - that you will try to schedule the same recording session on the VBox (not on MythTV) and use an attached USB flash drive for the recording - see if it also fails
I can try this but as I said it also hangs when not recording.
admin@vbox wrote:
If you are able to recreate the issue than it will help if you can send us the full logs
I am rarely watching the computer/TV when it happens - this is why I would like a system that can alert me and/or a watchdog service to restart the service when it fails.
admin@vbox wrote:
To do this go to the logging setting -
1. Change the number of log files to 5
2. Press the clear all logs button - to delete all data
3. Recreate the issue
I can't recreate the issue - it seems to happen when I'm not in the house or not keeping an eye on it.
admin@vbox wrote:
4. Immediately after the recordings fail - go to logging settings
  • I don't know when it has failed! I often don't notice until the following day (when several recordings have failed).
  • It would be so useful to have something to alert me when the Streamer (or other service) hangs
  • I can't always get into the web interface to make the changes that you suggest

admin@vbox
Site Admin

Post by admin@vbox » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:11 pm

Hi @tarmacalastair

How about my suggestion to try and record to a USB flash drive using the VBox interface?

Unfortunately we cannot provide SSH access, however you can use Wireshark to capture longer log, that will free you from the need to instantly sending the log.
For a more detailed log (if you are using wireshark) you can change the log level to 5. debug for Streamer and Platform services - this will generate a more detailed log with a lot more data so I recommend not do to it at first

tarmacalastair

Post by tarmacalastair » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:51 pm

I'll give it a go but it will be a few days as family hols at the moment.