VBox to Synology

Live TV, EPG, Recordings, Pay TV CAM, Remote Access and other issues
damsons

VBox to Synology

Post by damsons » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:36 pm

I'm trying to setup my VBox (XTi 3442) to record to my NAS (Synology 216+II). I've created a new directory with RW permissions for this purpose.

In the web management page I go to Streaming - Manage Recordings - Recording Path. If I use Network Wizard and select the Domain and Server I get 'Error getting folders list (NT_STATUS_ACCOUNT_DISABLED)'. (no request for User ID & pwd). If I use Network Manual I can enter the path, user & pwd but when I press Set I still get 'mount error(13): Permission denied'

Shared directory entry is //MyNAS/tv
On the NAS it is MyNAS/TV, that is directly off the root dir. - Windows 10 thinks it's /tv, synology thinks it's /TV, I've tried both, just in case.

Any idea where the (presumably) permissions problem is?

Sounds like tarmacalastair has a similar config that works - or, at least, has different problems.

admin@vbox
Site Admin

Re: VBox to Synology

Post by admin@vbox » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:47 pm

Hi
We had another customer with a similar issue - he pointed us to the following forum post that seems to helped him
https://forum.digitalfernsehen.de/threa ... st-6860766

Sorry that it is in German - I hope that it will help

damsons

Post by damsons » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:06 pm

Thanks for the swift reply, but :-

I don't _think_ that is my problem (mein Deutsch ist nicht sehr gut!) as it relates to a user signing on using the Guest account and I am using my admin account on the NAS (at least until I have everything working). Indeed it certainly wouldn't work on my NAS with Guest as I have the account disabled.

Is the VBox specifically trying to sign in as Guest on the Wizard? This would not change the Manual method, in any case.

admin@vbox
Site Admin

Post by admin@vbox » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:13 pm

Are you using any special characters in your password?
I suggest trying to change your password to text and numbers only and see if it helped
If it does help, please let me know what characters you are using

damsons

Post by damsons » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:34 pm

I have created a new user and assigned RW permissions to the directory concerned. The new user's pwd has only alphanumeric characters in its pwd (the original user has a ';'). No change, same errors.

Frustrating - I have no doubt that it's something very simple that I'm getting wrong.

admin@vbox
Site Admin

Post by admin@vbox » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:49 pm

Did you try to post a question on the Synology website?
https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php

damsons

Post by damsons » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:04 pm

I really can't see this being a general Synology issue as I have no difficulty connecting to shares on the NAS from my Win 10 desktop, my Raspberry Pi3 (either via Raspbian or Kodi 17.1) and even my Samsung TVs. This is to an existing share on the NAS /video which gives the same results as /TV when I try to connect from the VBox.

I still think that there is a simple setting that I am missing - but I've no idea where. Will try a usb stick to see if I can set that as a recording path.

jonowen

Post by jonowen » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:01 pm

I had the same problem (I think). After LOTS of searching and trial and error it was a permissions issue for me. The only way I could find to fix it was to enable the guest accont on the synology nas, which isn't ideal but it solved my problem.
Hope this helps.

tarmacalastair

Post by tarmacalastair » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:13 pm

My current path is showing as
NETWORK (Wizard) - Current Setting (but I entered it manually)
//DS1/video/vbox
First I entered sftp://ds1.local/video/vbox . The Vbox complained about resolving the name with:
"target ip address argument missingmount error: could not resolve address for ds1.local: Name or service not known"

It also changed the path for me to //ds1.local/video/vbox

So I left it in that format but decided that if it couldn't resolve ds1.local then I'd have to use the IP. So I entered //192.168.1.99/video/vbox into the box and re-entered the username and password (full admin on the Synology box).

After I pressed Enter the Vbox changed the path to //DS1/video/vbox and displayed it as entered via the Network Wizard. It also changed the hostname to all capitals. I was careful to use all the same case as the source (lowercase here) because both the Synology and the VBox run on Linux where file names and paths are case sensitive, unlike Windows were vbox and VBOX are the same.

I don't know if this is at all helpful but I thought I'd share what I did. I might change to a different Synology username later but to start with I wanted to simply connect and didn't worry about wide open permissions. I'm pretty sure I set the permissions on the Synology share to full for all users for both my vbox directory and its parent directory but I can't remember for certain.

Cheers.

lgnch

Post by lgnch » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:59 pm

Remember that the Synology will only support SMB or NFS - the VBox does SMB using the // so always use //name/path

Using the wizard, the VBox will change the details based on what the synology is sending back. So the synology is sending it all in CAPS and rewriting the IP to the name and domain you have set on the synology. You can force it using manual setup on the VBox, but if it ain't broke don't fix it maybe the approach with the synology and using the wizard fixes most compatibility issues, so I recommend that approach.

As you say, the path will be case sensitive even if the box //name is rewritten. Most NAS rewrite it because of old windows not recognizing case sensitivity on the network, so i t is not unusual as this idea has been maintained even though Microsoft has changed windows to now recognize it.

Using the admin password is fine, but best practice is to use a username with write permissions, for example tv as the username with read write setup in the synology permissions and with access to that directory.

If it is now working, then that is perfect and thanks for the update to help others.