Remote access

Live TV, EPG, Recordings, Pay TV CAM, Remote Access and other issues
jwoods

Remote access

Post by jwoods » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:59 pm

Hi!

I am considering buying a VBox to upgrade my Broadway 2T which is starting to show its age.

I'm mostly using it for remote access though. I'm an expat, and the device sits in my parents' house in UK.

I'd be especially interested in getting the remote stream to my TV. Anyone know if that's possible? It's a smart TV and has that 'smart iptv' app, so in theory it should work if VBox's M3U file is externally accessible. If it's just via app/browser to my macbook, ipad etc then it wouldn't be much of a worthwhile investment for me.

Appreciate hearing any ideas or experiences from others.

Cheers,

admin@vbox
Site Admin

Re: Remote access

Post by admin@vbox » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:15 pm

Hi
If your smart TV is Android TV you can use the VBox app to directly connect to the VBox over the internet (we're also working on a Samsung Tizen App)
To use the VBox's m3u links you will have to download the m3u file and edit the IP address with your external IP address then load it to your IPTV app

Please note that the VBox streams in full broadcast quality, therefore you will need fast upload link in the UK and fast download link in your home to use remote access, or you can use Emby or soon Plex to transcode the TV channels

jwoods

Post by jwoods » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:02 pm

I'm not on android unfortunately. Maybe the iOS app works with Chromecast though? That would be a neat option. I'd be happy to edit the m3u though, glad to hear it would work like that!

It's a shame you can't control the quality from within the Vbox. Broadway has this feature, and lets you set different levels for local & remote:
Screen Shot 2018-01-31 at 17.56.11.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-31 at 17.56.11.png (30.67 KiB) Viewed 54 times

cubimol

Post by cubimol » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:31 pm

The best and most secure solution to remotely access any device (PC, VBox, Landline, etc.) within a private network is to install a router that supports an OpenVPN server. I have an Asus RT-AC87U for two years and it works very well. When I'm out of my country I can easily turn on and off my PC, use my PC, watch TV from my VBox or use my landline, all as if I were at home.

To solve the video upload bandwidth problems, I use, when necessary, VLC in server mode (installed on my PC that is automatically activated during startup) that reduces the video bandwidth to only 2 Mbps even for high definition TV channels.

My remote devices are an android tablet and an android TV Box, and an android phone for calls with the landline.