USB HDD or NAS?

Live TV, EPG, Recordings, Pay TV CAM, Remote Access and other issues
wwwdotrichdotcom

USB HDD or NAS?

Post by wwwdotrichdotcom » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:02 am

Hi all

Have just ordered VBOX and am wondering what you guys are using/having most success recording on - either USB HDD or NAS?

I don't really need a full-on NAS, so was just thinking of plugging USB HDD into my router and sharing a folder with the VBOX (so I can access HDD from network for other things) - but would it perform better with direct USB connection to VBOX (and can I still access drive over network)?

Your thoughts/experience would be appreciated!

Cheers, Rich

beeka

Re: USB HDD or NAS?

Post by beeka » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:48 pm

I've been using a NAS as it also hosts my media server (so I can have the tv recordings in the same library as my music). This works for that but if the vbox loses the connection somehow (NAS reboot) you get no warning and will miss recordings. I'd be tempted to try with a usb drive directly attached to the device if you are after something very simple.

Ant

Post by Ant » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:37 am

Now usb-hdd is in use.

First time it was usb flash drive, but it was usable only for one sd record.
When i try two at the same time ot hd record, usb flash speed wasn't enough.
Was thinking abous nas, but in my case it usually sleeps all week because of my work until weekend and plc network between nas and vbox is not very stable.

wwwdotrichdotcom

Post by wwwdotrichdotcom » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:50 am

Cheers guys - appreciate your input...

Erion

Post by Erion » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:36 pm

Is there no way of getting the NAS connection to be stable? Any ideas how this could be done?

admin@vbox
Site Admin

Post by admin@vbox » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:04 pm

Hi what is the problem?
If you have issues with the NAS connection - I suggest the following
1. Make sure that you NAS is always available if you are shutting it down or you have network disconnection - this may cause issues and you may need to restart the VBox
2. Try to see if your NAS is going to sleep mode and takes a long time to wake up, it could be that the VBox is trying to connect and get's timeout
3. Make sure that you have your the latest FW version for both the NAS and your VBox