Upload bandwidth requirements

Setup issues? Scanning issues? Network problems? Other questions? This is the place you want to be.
Bob Woody

Upload bandwidth requirements

Post by Bob Woody » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:36 pm

Hi people,
I'm on the Algarve & would like to install a Vbox at my brothers house in the UK & watch Freesat here - Admin has told me it wouldn't be difficult to do.
My brother is concerned that when I'm using the box he will loose his internet as the Vbox will use up all his bandwidth.
On the basis that I haven't got a clue what he's talking about does anyone have any idea how much bandwidth the Vbox would use when I'm accessing it from here in the sunshine.
Many thanks
Bob

MikeB

Re: Upload bandwidth requirements

Post by MikeB » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:30 pm

Assuming you are streaming only one channel, you need anywhere up to 6Mbit/s depending on channel.
This from your brother's perspective, will come from his Broadband Upload speed. What ever the Upload speed is, it gets shared amongst all users (unless traffic priorities have been set).

Mike

Bob Woody

Post by Bob Woody » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:36 am

Thanks Mike,
I've had a good look through all the info on Vbox & all I can find is " a fast broadband connection is required".
Why don't they put some approximate figures against the broadband upload requirements - after all "fast upload" was 1mbps a few years ago.
My brother has 2.5 mbps upload - so the whole idea is a non starter.
The upload requirements are key to the whole thing working so I don't understand why it's not on the front page of the website.
Most people know that a car needs fuel to run - but not all (probably not many) of us know what upload speeds are required to stream TV away from home.
Best regards
Bob

Ant

Post by Ant » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:39 pm

Well, problem is that they can't guess what exactly transmitted by provider in your area.
So to get real info, there is sense take vbox in place where you planned install it and after all connection start watching desired channels.
Then open web interface of vbox: Streaming - Status - on that page you will see which channel you are watching and it's bit rate.

Bob Woody

Post by Bob Woody » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:31 am

Hi Ant,
I understand that they can't guess the upload speed in my area but if it needs say 5mbps to upload TV why can't the give a minimum speed requirement ?
I don't want "real info" after I've bought the Vbox - I want to make an informed judgement before I buy the Vbox & I think they should give us a better indication of the required upload speed than "a fast broadband connection is required"
Bob

beeka

Post by beeka » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:15 am

The bandwidth will depend on the channel... a HD channel will require more than SD but also different broadcasters will have different encoders and quality settings. I bumped into an article about freeview HD from 2010 where recordings averaged 3gb per hour, although some programs went up to 4gb for an hour. This would require an *upload* speed of 10Mbit/s.

These are raw data speeds (i.e. as they come off the aerial) and assume the measurements from 2010 still stand. It also assumes a constant bit rate (there will in practice be some peaks and troughs). It might be possible to use something like bubble upnp server to transcode the video to a lower quality / bit-rate, although I don't know if it would work with live tv... you would also need a computer running to do the transcoding.

So all do-able but quite a lot of things to consider to get the 'simple' answer you want and why it is difficult for vbox to provide one.

Steve.