USB Storage Filing System Type Issue?

Setup issues? Scanning issues? Network problems? Other questions? This is the place you want to be.
Tinkerer

USB Storage Filing System Type Issue?

Post by Tinkerer » Tue May 16, 2017 3:18 pm

I recently bought the XTi-3442 and have been using a spare USB flash drive I had to hand, but I now would like to use a larger 5TB USB Hard drive.

The problem I am having is that the box is not recognising any other USB devices that I plug in other than the original. I have found that the working flash drive is formatted as Ext4, so I assume that is the cause. The Quick Setup Guide says I should be able to use FAT32 or NTFS as well. Ideally, I would like to use NTFS as it allows files larger than 4GB.
Can anyone shine a light on where I am going wrong and what I need to do to get this to work with NTFS?
Any advice would be much appreciated:)

Great product by the way.

admin@vbox
Site Admin

Re: USB Storage Filing System Type Issue?

Post by admin@vbox » Wed May 17, 2017 3:04 pm

Hi @ Tinkerer
The VBox supports FAT32, FAT16, EXT 2, EXT 3, EXT 4 and NTFS
I am not sure that the issue is with the file system
Is your HDD self powered or uses the power from the VBox USB port?

I can suggest trying to attached your HDD to your network router and configure the VBox to record to a network share
You can also try connecting a self powered USB hub to the VBox and connect your HDD to the USB hub - as the VBox USB port is low powered ported
Hope this helps

Tinkerer

Re: USB Storage Filing System Type Issue?

Post by Tinkerer » Fri May 19, 2017 10:27 am

Thanks for your reply Admin,
I have tried a 5TB USB drive with separate power supply and several other USB flash drives. The only way I am able to get a flash drive to work is to format it to EXT 4.
I do not have an option for a USB drive on my router.
My original intention was to use a NAS drive so probably best to research and purchase one!

Thanks again for the help.