Freesat EPG, channel icons, channel sorting

Setup issues? Scanning issues? Network problems? Other questions? This is the place you want to be.
Zilog

Freesat EPG, channel icons, channel sorting

Post by Zilog » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:34 pm

Hi there,

1st time poster. Received VBox XTi 3340 for Christmas. Have been using MediaPortal TVServer running on a PC for years, but would like to decommission it. The VBox could be ideal, but running into some hiccups; perhaps someone can help:
  • Although specs say the VBox is dual tuner DVB/S2 and single tuner T2, it appears one tuner only is S2, the other one is S. HD channels require S2, making this effectively a single satellite tuner.
  • Saorview TV guide is downloaded OK over the air, but it appears the Freesat TV guide cannot be collected, is this correct? Previously on MediaPortal I was using 'EPGcollector' program to download the OTA Freesat guide. On the VBox it looks like an XMLTV feed is required for full listings.
  • Channel icons. I have uploaded onto USB drive 'icons' folder, but the VBox does not automatically associate with channel name, each needs to be (slowly) manually associated. Am I missing something here? Kodi can associate all right, but then I need some other external storage to hold the icons.
    Perhaps the VBox can operate as a NAS and I can point the Kodi to the VBox icons folder?
  • On my Windows 10 PC, when using the VBox Kodi plugin, it crashes during EPG download from the VBox. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Kodi and VBox plugin several times, including deleting the Kodi 'userdata' folder in case any files were corrupted, without success. Admittedly I have not tried on my FireTVs Kodi as don't want to break TV watching for the rest of the family until I have something working!
  • Channel organisation on the VBox through the web interface is virtually impossible it is so slow. Is there any quicker way to organise channels?
I'm not new to this stuff, using network PVR solutions (Windows PC) since early 2000's, just wanted to downsize and simplify my setup.
I really want the VBox to work, but configuring and setting up is a real chore; organising channels is so slow it is unbearable.

Compare with cheap Linux Revolver F1 which I bought and set up for my folks. Within a couple of hours full EPG, including channel icons, sorted into Freesat order automatically, with Saorview channels too. Ability to watch over network using Enigma2 plugin on Kodi, with EPG. Also 2 genuine DVB/S2 tuners and one DVB/T2 tuner. Web interface also for (quick!) favourites sorting.

Am I missing something? Be grateful for some advice and setup direction. Thanks in advance.

admin@vbox
Site Admin

Re: Freesat EPG, channel icons, channel sorting

Post by admin@vbox » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:58 am

Although specs say the VBox is dual tuner DVB/S2 and single tuner T2, it appears one tuner only is S2, the other one is S. HD channels require S2, making this effectively a single satellite tuner.
The XTi-3340 has 1xDVB-S2 + 1xDVB-S + 2xDVB-T2 - can you please let me know where did you see the wrong spec? we'd like to correct this error

Saorview TV guide is downloaded OK over the air, but it appears the Freesat TV guide cannot be collected, is this correct? Previously on MediaPortal I was using 'EPGcollector' program to download the OTA Freesat guide. On the VBox it looks like an XMLTV feed is required for full listings.
Unfortunately - the VBox guide from either OTA or XMLTV, we currently do not have support for mixed sources, however it is a good idea In fact, we already have this in our development pipeline as it was suggested before as well. The more times an item is mentioned by our users the higher we prioritize it and the faster we will get it done - so this just got upvoted.

Therefore you will have to create a full Saotview + Freesat XMLTV file, you can still use EPG collector, or any other guide source for that
Channel icons. I have uploaded onto USB drive 'icons' folder, but the VBox does not automatically associate with channel name, each needs to be (slowly) manually associated. Am I missing something here? Kodi can associate all right, but then I need some other external storage to hold the icons.
We currently do not have icon name matching and you need to only manually configure the icons once,
Perhaps the VBox can operate as a NAS and I can point the Kodi to the VBox icons folder?
Unfortunately we do not support file management
On my Windows 10 PC, when using the VBox Kodi plugin, it crashes during EPG download from the VBox. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Kodi and VBox plugin several times, including deleting the Kodi 'userdata' folder in case any files were corrupted, without success. Admittedly I have not tried on my FireTVs Kodi as don't want to break TV watching for the rest of the family until I have something working!
Can you please try the VBox live TV app for Win 10 you can download it from the MS store,
As to kodi - I suggest to try the following in order to isolate the issue
1. try to set the VBox to OTA guide (you will not have the Freesat guide) see if it loads OK
2. Try to set the VBox to XMLTV guide (you will not have the Saorview guide) see if it loads OK
- If the issue is in the xMLTV guide - try to upload it directly to Kodi - you can do this in the EPG tab on the VBox PVR addon
Channel organisation on the VBox through the web interface is virtually impossible it is so slow. Is there any quicker way to organise channels?
There are multiple options to sort the channels
1. Using the drop down menu next to each channel you can set its location
2. You can change the channel number - and then set sort channels by LCN
3. using the arrows you can move the channel up and down (but this does takes ages)

Zilog

Post by Zilog » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:43 pm

Thanks for the reply and email VBox, I've been 'playing' a bit more with the XTI 3340.

I've installed the v2.58 you linked to. Overall I've seen no change to the operation or usage of the XTI.
he XTi-3340 has 1xDVB-S2 + 1xDVB-S + 2xDVB-T2 - can you please let me know where did you see the wrong spec? we'd like to correct this error
This was my mistake, apologies. However I would expect all new tuners to have DVB-S2, to allow 2 simultaneous HD streams.
We currently do not have icon name matching and you need to only manually configure the icons once
This is so slow as to be completely impractical! If you want I can send you a video. Doing all 244 free-to-air channels I can receive will take most of a day!
Missed opportunity here; easily could work as a NAS, allow Picons to be stored and accessed by Kodi VBox client (eliminating the icon name matching problem, as Kodi can do this), etc.

No amount of Kodi tweaking will fix operation for me; in addition the FireTV app is broken (on FireTV 3 anyway); either with XMLTV data or OTA (for Saorview) data the app crashes. TBH if Kodi plugin worked this would be less of a problem.
This is really the only practical way of channel sorting in any reasonable amount of time; still slow and manual process though.

Compare this to a Formuler F1 enigma2 receiver I'm trying at the moment. Runs OpenVix, I've never configured an enigma2 device before:
  1. EPG data downloads automatically (OTA using OpenTV, built in, no config necessary) for all channels, both Saorview and Freesat
  2. Channels sorted and arranged automatically, using AutoBouquets
  3. Numerous free tools for sorting channel order (I've been trying E-Channelizer on Windows 10, nice interface)
  4. Picon plugin available for channel icons, or easily uploaded and matched using external apps
  5. Built in web interface (Openweb IF) is snappy
  6. Kodi client works!
  7. Two DVB/S2 tuners
  8. Relatively cheap, £89 with 3 tuners (2 DVB-S2 and 1 DVB-T/T2/C)
  9. Works without any other devices if desired - it's a set-top-box after all
  10. Appears as tuner under Plex PVR (using plugin)
Really having a hard time with the VBox.
If it worked as a headless enigma2 tuner, would be really useful and you would not have to write software, web interfaces etc. from scratch.

admin@vbox
Site Admin

Post by admin@vbox » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:32 am

Zilog wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:43 pm
Thanks for the reply and email VBox, I've been 'playing' a bit more with the XTI 3340.

I've installed the v2.58 you linked to. Overall I've seen no change to the operation or usage of the XTI.
Yes this is a performance and bug fixes release - no new functionality

Missed opportunity here; easily could work as a NAS, allow Picons to be stored and accessed by Kodi VBox client (eliminating the icon name matching problem, as Kodi can do this), etc.[/quote]
This may be true, but we currently focused on making network TV PVRs
No amount of Kodi tweaking will fix operation for me; in addition the FireTV app is broken (on FireTV 3 anyway); either with XMLTV data or OTA (for Saorview) data the app crashes. TBH if Kodi plugin worked this would be less of a problem.
It sounds like the apps are having an issue processing guide, I therefore suggest that you will try to minimize the size of your guide,
1. try to lower the number of channels
2. remove any channel that you are not using from your guide
3. try to using guide from only Freesat channels then only for Saorview - I hope that this will help to point us to the right direction of there is a channel that is making issues
This is really the only practical way of channel sorting in any reasonable amount of time; still slow and manual process though.
If the broadcaster do not provide LCN number then, yes it's a manual process, however we provide many different ways to do that

bababarold

Post by bababarold » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:41 am

I haven't tried E Chanelizer must look it up. I tried the web interface and just wanted to give up.

I downloaded the channel file to SQL lite and then changed the LCN numbers to those on the Digital channel list for the UK with with an additional suffix to note the multiple channels. ITV managed some 13 or 14. This took ages and allowed me to delete hundreds of scans for locked and other channels not required. This has worked apart from some EPG's having got corrupted and and issues on which channel was required. The uploaded list works on Kodi but on the Windows app is not in LCN order despite that being specified and the editing screen on the web interface not changing from the original.

Does anyone have a UK EPG number list?